There are several types of core groups that focus on church administration or church worship and learning:
- Organizational & administrative groups (church committees)
- Music groups
- Children’s groups
- Intergenerational groups
The Church Council is the primary governing body of Gordon United Church. It develops policy and plans that are implemented by various committees and
groups of the congregation.The United Church Manual outlines membership and responsibilities.
Members of the Council include the Minister, two Co-Chairs, Secretary, and a representative in full membership of the following Committees.
- Property and Finance Committee
- Ministry and Personnel Committee
- Spiritual Leadership
- Presbytery Representative
- Communications Liaison
- Stewardship Committee
- Pastoral Care committee
- Others in leadership positions such as representatives from the Women’s groups.
Ministry and Personnel works with such a caring and capable Staff of Gordon United Church. The Ministry and Personnel (M&P) Committee are responsible for supporting, overseeing, and supervising ministry personnel and lay staff.
Key documents include:
- UC Ministry and Personnel Committees Policy, Procedures and Practices
Property & Finance
This Committee supervises the uses of the church property, meeting monthly throughout the year. They look after the following:
- Arrange rentals for the use of the property, maintain the property, and supervise the Office Manager in maintaining appropriate records for these purposes.
- Receive and disburse monies in accordance with a budget of authorized expenses put forward annually by Council and approved by the congregation at the annual meeting.
- Regularly educate the congregation as to the financial health of the church, and soliciting donations .
The choir is an integral part of our regular Sunday services, singing anthems and leading the congregation in the pre-service hymn sing. The choir practices Wednesdays at 7:30 pm. All are welcome, and no experience is necessary.
Having all generations represented at Gordon United Church is important to us. A special part of the service is set aside each Sunday for the Minister and the children to have some time together. We also have special services several times a year that are particularly geared towards our younger members. There is space in the worship area for children to colour and look at books, and a “cry room” where children can make a little more noise and parents can still hear the service. We encourage parents to bring their children year round, and as regularly as possible. We know how busy life is and that families are faced with tough choices as to where to spend their time. We hope you’ll choose to spend some of that time with us, worshiping God and growing in the knowledge of Jesus.
Our Sunday Children’s Program runs roughly September through May for children from preschool to Grade 6. Older children and teens are welcome to participate as helpers. Our learning environment is multi-age, with a shared story, age-appropriate activities, games and theme exploration. We hope to form a second Sunday School class for “Tweens and Teens” when the numbers warrant. We use the Seasons of the Spirit curriculum, in which the stories and themes children are addressing are the same as those experienced in worship by adults that day. This allows for families to have conversations together about what they learned or what inspired them that day. We do our best to have two adults with the children at all times, and all volunteers are screened. We would welcome new people to help share the leadership of the Sunday program.